[R-pkg-devel] Package bioOED has been removed from CRAN just for personal reasons

Fri Nov 3 12:15:24 CET 2023

Dear R-package-devel readers *and* notably writers,

In Europe there are (diverse) laws about privacy etc, and those,
(and/or some politeness) do not allow
free citing of private e-mail communications in public
nor ad hominem remarks in such public communication.

For this reason, I (as mailing list co-maintainer, and notably
responsible for the lawfulness of the public mailing list archives on
our web server) now spent about 2 hours  to carefully obey such
privacy requirements (carefully editing + recreating all the html archives).
{In another similar case, my employer, ETH Zurich, did urge me
"from above" to spend my time with such a tedious and ungratifying job ...}
This is *NOT* something I'd be happy to redo.

So *please* do not misuse such a public mailing list and do keep
your private opinions private in such a case in the future!

    > On 11/2/23 2:52 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:
    >>
    >> On Wed, 1 Nov 2023 16:10:34 +0000 David Hugh-Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> Aside from the package question, surely the other issue
    >>> here is that ........’s email is extraordinarily
    >>> rude. Any paid employee would be sacked for that. I
    >>> appreciate R and CRAN are volunteer-run organisations,
    >>> but I don’t think that should be an excuse for this
    >>> level of, frankly, toxicity. Why is he allowed to get
    >>> away with it?
    >>>
    >>> David

    >> I've just had a look at the initial posting in this
    >> thread
    >>
    >> and can see nothing rude or offensive in the email
    >> that was copied and pasted into that  posting.
    >>
    >> I find *your* email far more offensive than anything that
    >> .... has ever written.  Get a life.
    >>
    >> cheers,
    >>
    >> Rolf Turner
    >>
    >> P.S.  See fortunes::fortune(88).
    >>
    >> R. T.

    > Hi, David:

[............]

    > 	  I've been in the military, and I've learned to ignore
    > the tone and look for the value in comments I
    > receive. I've learned a lot from ............, and
    > others. When the tone seemed less supportive or even
    > insulting, I'm very glad the person took the time to
    > comment and didn't decide not to reply for fear of
    > offending me. I'm more productive and a better human for
    > all the help I've gotten from this and other R-related
    > lists.

    > fortunes::fortune('Spencer Graves')

which can you get 4 different answers; using `showMatches` argument
(which I think I had added), e.g. now gives

> fortune("Spencer Graves", showMatches = TRUE)
Matching row numbers: 90, 124, 177, 271

Rolf Turner: In the middle of a Saturday morning (in my Time Zone!) I send out a plea for help, and in
just over 20 minutes my problem is solved!
I don't think you get service like that anywhere else. This R-help list is BLOODY AMAZING!
Spencer Graves: 'The sun never sets on the (former) British Empire.' Today, it never sets on R-Help.
   -- Rolf Turner and Spencer Graves
      R-help (May 2005)

and then

> fortune(90)

Our great-great grandchildren as yet unborn may read some of the stupid questions and/or answers that I
and perhaps others give from time to time. I'd rather get flamed for saying something stupid in public on
this list than to continue to provide substandard service to the people with whom I work because I
perpetrated the same mistake in an environment in which no one questioned so effectively my errors.
   -- Spencer Graves (in a discussion on whether answers on R-help should be more polite)
      R-help (December 2004)

    > 	  sg

Martin

--