[R-pkg-devel] Problem with "compacting" pdf files.

Rolf Turner ro||turner @end|ng |rom po@teo@net
Sun Oct 1 23:01:13 CEST 2023

On Sun, 1 Oct 2023 15:22:34 +0300
Ivan Krylov <krylov.r00t using gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun,  1 Oct 2023 08:31:31 +0000
> Rolf Turner <rolfturner using posteo.net> wrote:
>
> > I do not understand:
>
> >    * the reference to inst/doc (there is no such directory)
>
> When you run R CMD build in order to produce a new Iso-*.tar.gz, R
> runs Sweave and pdflatex on vignettes/algorithm.Rnw in order to
> produce inst/doc/algorithm.pdf inside the resulting tarball (but not
> the original source tree on your computer).
>
> >    * what I have to do to get Iso to pass the required checks
>
> Does it help to run R CMD build --compact-vignettes=both? This should
> let R run tools::compactPDF on inst/doc/algorithm.pdf it generates
> before placing it inside the package tarball.
>
> I think that R doesn't know anything about files under inst/vignettes
> in the source tree.

Thanks Ivan.  That may well be the key.  When I unpacked the tarball
created without the --compact-vignettes=both flag, I found that
inst/doc/algorithm.pdf had size 403 Kb, whereas with that flag set
it had size 108 Kb.

I'll re-submit now and see what happens.

I *really* think that the instructions from CRAN could have been
clearer!  Without your guidance I'd have been at a total loss.

cheers,

Rolf

--
Honorary Research Fellow