[R-pkg-devel] Problem with "compacting" pdf files.

Rolf Turner ro||turner @end|ng |rom po@teo@net
Sun Oct 1 10:31:31 CEST 2023

When I submitted an update of my Iso package a short time ago, it was
rejected as not passing the incoming checks automatically.  Explicitly,
I got a WARNING:

> * checking sizes of PDF files under 'inst/doc' ... WARNING
> 'gs+qpdf' made some significant size reductions:
>      compacted 'algorithm.pdf' from 394Kb to 99Kb
>   consider running tools::compactPDF(gs_quality = "ebook") on these
> files

I did as instructed and ran

    tools::compactPDF("./algorithm.pdf",gs_quality="ebook")

having started R in the inst/vignettes directory, which is where the
file algorithm.pdf is to be found.

According to "ls -l" the size of algorithm.pdf was about 109 Kb. before
I ran compactPDF() and about 90 Kb. afterward.

I do not understand:

    * the reference to inst/doc (there is no such directory)
    * where the sizes 349 Kb and 99 Kb come from
    * what I have to do to get Iso to pass the required checks

The email that I received from CRAN (under the return address
ligges using statistik.tu-dortmund.de) said:

> If you are not sure how to fix the problems shown, please ask for
> help on the R-package-devel mailing list:

Consequently I am asking! Can anyone set me on the path to
enlightenment?  Thanks.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--