[R-pkg-devel] Question about Clang 17 Error

Reed A. Cartwright r@c@rtwr|ght @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Sep 27 20:27:59 CEST 2023

My package, RBedrock, is now throwing an error when compiled against
Clang17. The error log is here:

https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/clang17/rbedrock.log

The important part is
"""
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘rbedrock’ in dyn.load(file,
DLLpath = DLLpath, ...):
 unable to load shared object
'/data/gannet/ripley/R/packages/tests-clang-trunk/rbedrock.Rcheck/00LOCK-rbedrock/00new/rbedrock/libs/rbedrock.so':

/data/gannet/ripley/R/packages/tests-clang-trunk/rbedrock.Rcheck/00LOCK-rbedrock/00new/rbedrock/libs/rbedrock.so:
undefined symbol: _ZNSt3__122__libcpp_verbose_abortEPKcz
Error: loading failed
"""

>From what I can gather through googling, this error can be caused by using
the C linker when one of the dependent libraries is a C++ library.

I cannot tell if this is an issue with my package (likely) or CRAN's
clang17 setup (less likely).

Background about the package: rbedrock is written in C but links against a
C++ library (Mojang's leveldb fork)  via the library's C-API functions. I
use a dummy .cpp file in the source directory to trigger R into using the
C++ linker. That does still seem to be happening according to the log.

Has anyone seen this before and know where I should start looking to fix it?

Thanks.

--
Reed A. Cartwright, PhD
Associate Professor of Genomics, Evolution, and Bioinformatics