[R-pkg-devel] [Tagged] Re: roxygen style documentation for data sets

Thu Sep 21 21:23:21 CEST 2023

None of us here are lawyers, but a simple google search should take you to discussions such as [1]. There is a long history of debates about the upsides and downsides of restricting how people can use your source code.

My short take is that a GPL license prevents anyone from stuffing your code into a proprietary box and selling it without your consent... they have to share just as much as you did. MIT doesn't prevent this hiding, so people working for companies are less likely to have trouble getting approval to use your code... but you may not have any access to their fixes either. Just different definitions of "freedom" playing out their implications.

[1] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_License#:~:text=The%20GNU%20GPL%20is%20explicit,license%20does%20not%20discuss%20patents.