[R-pkg-devel] What to do when a package is archived from CRAN

SHIMA Tatsuya t@1@1@ndn @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Aug 27 16:40:16 CEST 2023

Sarah,

Thanks for taking a look at this.
But what we see in the results page is the compiled size, and I think it
is common for it to be huge.

For example, looking at the arrow package 12.0.1.1
<https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=arrow
<https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=arrow>>, the size of the lib seems
to be 41MB.

Indeed, the size of the first submission of prqlr 0.5.0, which vendored
all dependent crates, was 12 MB, which of course was not accepted by CRAN.
The second submission, which was eventually accepted, was submitted with
the vendored tarballs removed, so the source package was smaller.
(By the way, I wrote the following comment when I submitted the second
time I removed the tarball, which I thought asked for explicit
permission to download, but I don't know if that was actually read by
CRAN.
<https://github.com/eitsupi/prqlr/pull/161/commits/9aba66647fa5e48da0a5983643a4df001721b3f7>)

Best,
Tatsuya