[R-pkg-devel] What to do when a package is archived from CRAN

Sat Aug 26 23:22:20 CEST 2023

On Sat, 26 Aug 2023 11:46:44 +0900
SHIMA Tatsuya <ts1s1andn using gmail.com> wrote:

> I noticed that my submitted package `prqlr` 0.5.0 was archived from
> CRAN on 2023-08-19.
> <https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=prqlr>
>
> I submitted prqlr 0.5.0 on 2023-08-13. I believe I have since only
> received word from CRAN that it passed the automated release process.

Sarah gave a good guess (although there are CRAN packages containing
C++ and Rust code with NOTEs about size of their libs, 18.2Mb is still
a lot), though I do find it strange that you didn't receive anything
from CRAN prior to having your package archived. I don't think I ever
had problems with e-mails being delivered from CRAN to GMail, but we
can't rule that out.

You've obviously made an effort to follow the Rust policy, and I don't
see any obvious problems with this part of the package, although I
haven't tried it myself to verify the installation working offline from
bundled source code.

You've also made an effort to list all the authors of the code
comprising your package in inst/AUTHORS, which is the right thing to do
to avoid making the list of authors in DESCRIPTION long enough to be
unreadable.

You licensed the package as MIT. Are your dependencies compatible with
MIT? All direct dependencies of your Rust code seem to be licensed
under either MIT or Apache-2.0, which seems to be compatible. You named
the copyright holder of your package as "prqlr authors", which may be a
problem. (I think I saw it somewhere that for MIT license, CRAN prefers
the copyright holder to be some kind of legal entity: either the legal
name of a person, or a company, or something like that.)

Could the Rust code or any of the dependencies accidentally write under
the user's home directory or take over the terminal or something like
that?

We might need a response from CRAN after all.

--
Best regards,
Ivan