[R-pkg-devel] LICENSE file in an R package for CRAN submission

Vincent Goulet v|ncent@gou|et @end|ng |rom me@com
Wed Aug 16 18:25:58 CEST 2023

Although late to the party, I thought I might chime in with a different take on the question.

Most answers seem to pertain to the actual license used for the package. For my part, I read the question as: "GitHub wants me to have a LICENSE file at the root of the repository, but R CMD check complains about it. What should I do?"

If you need to use the LICENSE file in your package, Ben Bolker already pointed you at the correct way to do it.

If the file is just there to please GitHub (and in any case), here's what I tend to do: put the source code of your package in a subdirectory (say 'src') of the repository. You may then put the GitHub files (README.md, LICENSE, whatever else) at the top level without interfering with R CMD build/check. The added benefit is that you will then build the package in the directory of the project (say 'mypkg') with 'R CMD build src' and end up with a file .../mypkg/mypkg_x.y-z.tar.gz, rather than in the parent directory of 'mypkg'.

(Mind you, I build my packages manually. The tidyverse tools may very well take care of this sort of things automatically and I wouldn't know.)

Hope this helps,

v.

Vincent Goulet
Professeur titulaire