[R-pkg-devel] status of "possibly invalid URL/403 error" NOTEs?

Sun Aug 13 21:17:09 CEST 2023

   I have a package whose documentation includes the reference
\doi{10.1137/18M1186411} which redirects here:
https://epubs.siam.org/doi/10.1137/18M1186411

Running R CMD check --as-cran on the package gives

Found the following (possibly) invalid URLs:
     From: man/llig.Rd
     Message: Forbidden

   I can access this perfectly well in the browser.

   Is there any way to avoid this (other than, say, including the URL in
a form that does *not* provide a link so that R CMD check won't try to
access it? (As Uwe Ligges says
[here](https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-package-devel/2020q1/005195.html)
(for a more obviously problematic case), "mention the URL in plain text
but not link"

   Here Hadley Wickham says that these NOTEs can be ignored

https://twitter.com/hadleywickham/status/1358170607314235392

but "Hadley said it on twitter" is not an ideal source. The CRAN
repository policy says that packages must pass checks without
"significant" notes, but it's always hard to know what's significant and
what's not ...

   There's a thread here:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-package-devel/2020q1/005171.html

    Tangentially: is there a more convenient way to search the
r-package-devel archives than googling (e.g.)
"site:https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-package-devel  403" ?