[R-pkg-devel] LICENSE file in an R package for CRAN submission

Wed Aug 9 17:15:39 CEST 2023

On Wed, 9 Aug 2023 17:06:01 +0200
Emanuele Cordano <emanuele.cordano using gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an R package on Github with a a LICENSE file compliant to
> Github and containing the text of the licence citing in the
> DESCRIPION file. But when I check the package , I obatained the
> following output:
>
> * checking top-level files ... NOTE
> File
>   LICENSE
>
> is not mentioned in the DESCRIPTION file.

What is the license? If it's something like GPL, just add LICENSE to
.Rbuildignore so that it stays in the repo, satisfying GitHub, but
doesn't get included inside the package file, satisfying R CMD check.

If it's something like MIT where you have to name the copyright holder
and the copyright year, things become more complicated.

See <https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#Licensing> for
the precise requirements.

--
Best regards,