[R-pkg-devel] Feedback on "Using Rust in CRAN packages"

Fri Jul 14 02:18:56 CEST 2023

The concerns over github going away (!!) (or altering references, tags,
releases, ...) may be somewhat alleviated by Software Heritage [1] covering
and 'preserving' it.  FWIW I briefly spoke about that iniative and a possible
CRAN connection at useR! in Toulouse four years ago [2].

I think I understand where CRAN is coming from. Builds for Debian have the
same requirements of 'everythin all at once better be local'.  Sadly what I
see in day to day life (hello cmake, hello vcpkg) moves firmly the other way.
We shall see how it all shakes out.

I would be very much in favor of workable rust (and then go, and so on)
solution.

Dirk

[1] https://www.softwareheritage.org/
[2] https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/papers/useR2019_swh_cran_talk.pdf