[R-pkg-devel] Best practices for CRAN package using Go

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Thu Jul 13 01:01:20 CEST 2023

Dewey,

you will definitely need to include all the necessary sources for your package. You may want to have a look at the "Using Rust"[1] document linked from the CRAN policy. I think Go is quite similar to Rust in that sense so you should use the same approach, i.e. checking for system and user installations (for go the official location is /usr/local/go/bin/go and it may not be on the PATH), declaring Go version dependency and making sure your package has included all module dependency sources (i.e. don't use install-time module resolution/download).

If you need to include a large source tar ball that is not permissible on CRAN, I'd recommend using Zenodo.org since it is specifically designed to facilitate longevity and reproducibility (as opposed to Github or other transient storage that may disappear at any point).

All that said, you may run into the same issues as Rust (errors and segfaults due to limited interoperability of compilers) so use with care and test well. External bindings like Rust or Go are only provided on "best effort" basis.

Cheers,
Simon

[1] - https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/using_rust.html

PS: go is now available on the CRAN macOS builder machines and the Mac Builder (https://mac.r-project.org/macbuilder/submit.html).