[R-pkg-devel] Is it a wrong assumption that ${R_HOME}/lib always exists?

Mon Jul 10 10:51:46 CEST 2023

[...............]

Short answer to your questsion (from the 'Subject') is :    NO !
For an example, see below:

    > libR-sys assumes the path to R's shared libraries is
    > `${R_HOME}/lib` on Unix-alike platforms.

In some configurations, R does not need *any* shared libraries,
and there,  $R_HOME/lib  does *not* exist.

E.g., I have one of my R-devel versions installed (on Fedora
Linux) with

        ../R/configure --with-blas=-lflexiblas

using the nice, currently Fedora/Redhat-only "flexiblas"
approach, with which I can nicely switch the versions of BLAS
and Lapack libraries that R works with from within R.

As that version of R is not "shared", i.e., no libR.so , *and*
gets both its BLAS and Lapack libraries from "external" (not
from R), there's no need for a ./lib/  and so none is created.

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich  and  R Core Team