[R-pkg-devel] Help with a github/Rstudio mess

Wed Jul 5 11:12:29 CEST 2023

On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 09:44:26 +0100
Chris Evans <chrishold using psyctc.org> wrote:

> OK.  So I try to pull thinking that made sense and that the change to
> pkgdown.yaml on github that I made yesterday is the offending change.

You are right about this.

> However, when I pull (in Rstudio again) I get this:
>
>  >>> /usr/bin/git pull
> fatal: pack has 6 unresolved deltas
> fatal: fetch-pack: invalid index-pack output

I think it should be possible to get your work online if you push it
into a separate branch:

git checkout -b test-getCIforQuantiles
git push -u origin test-getCIforQuantiles

This still leaves the problem of merging it back into "main", but at
least you'll have a separate copy you'll be able to get back to.

Your clone of the repo seems to have become corrupted somehow. People
on the Internet mention that this may be related to "shallow" clones
(made with git clone --depth=...). `git fsck --full` may provide more
information, but will probably not be able to fix the problem. Removing
the "origin" remote and adding it back again may fix the problem, or
not. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T46129 is the most informative
discussion of this problem I could find, and they couldn't solve it
either.

If you have any other important local branches, push them to GitHub (in
a similar manner: git push origin LOCAL_BRANCH_NAME:REMOTE_BRANCH_NAME).
Move your current clone of the repository away and create it anew using
`git clone`. Once you have merged the branches into appropriate places,
you will be able to remove them using git branch -d BRANCH_NAME
(locally) and git push origin :BRANCH_NAME (on GitHub).

--
Best regards,
Ivan