[R-pkg-devel] Public URLs for help for versions of base packages

Fri Jun 30 03:38:37 CEST 2023

R includes the tools::Rd2HTML function to convert Rd source files to
HTML for display.  RStudio offers previews of Rd pages; presumably they
use those functions.  I imagine ESS does the same.

If you want to do it yourself, start with ?tools::Rd2HTML.

There have been changes to the specs over time, but I'd guess current R
could render old Rd pages reasonably well, back to when Prof Ripley and
I wrote Rd2HTML in R 2.9.0.  Before that, it was done by a Perl script,
and the Rd syntax had more differences; I think the parser would likely
die on those very old files.

Duncan Murdoch