[R-pkg-devel] correcting errors in an existing package

Dennis Boos boo@ @end|ng |rom nc@u@edu
Fri Mar 31 22:51:40 CEST 2023

Recently I got a message from CRAN that my package Monte.Carlo.se (on CRAN
for the last few years) does not pass current testing.  There seemed to be
2 problems:

1. * checking LazyData ... NOTE
  'LazyData' is specified without a 'data' directory

I have this line in my DESCRIPTION file:

LazyData: true

Should I remove that?

2. * checking examples with --run-donttest ... [42s/42s] ERROR
Running examples in ‘Monte.Carlo.se-Ex.R’ failed
The error most likely occurred in:

> pairwise.se(hold,xcol=10:12,summary.f=cv)
Error: object 'hold' not found
Execution halted

So, I put in the R code to generate the data matrix *hold.  *But that
brought a host of other errors when checking in Rstudio with

> devtools::check("S:/Documents/srcis/a.projects/Monte.Carlo.isr.and.package/Monte.Carlo.se.March.2023")

I started seeing the following list about standard functions like sd.

N  checking R code for possible problems (3.4s)
   boot.se: no visible global function definition for 'sd'
   boot.var: no visible global function definition for 'var'
   corr: no visible global function definition for 'cor'
   cv: no visible global function definition for 'sd'
   ratio.mean.sdhat.sd: no visible global function definition for 'sd'
   ratio.mean.vhat.var: no visible global function definition for 'var'
   ratio.sd: no visible global function definition for 'sd'
   ratio.var: no visible global function definition for 'var'
   varn: no visible global function definition for 'var'
   Undefined global functions or variables:
     cor sd var
   Consider adding
     importFrom("stats", "cor", "sd", "var")
   to your NAMESPACE file.

But you can't add those functions to NAMESPACE. Well I did but

devtools::build()

gets rid of it. Also, I keep getting the message in the Rstudio check

WARNING
   'qpdf' is needed for checks on size reduction of PDFs

but I got the latest versions of R and Rstudio and was able to get
qpdf to install and loaded with library(qpdf), but Rstudio still gives
that message.

So, if anybody has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Dennis

--
Dennis Boos                      email: dennis_boos using ncsu.edu
Department of Statistics    Phone: 919-515-1918

Aim for kindness, tolerance, and humility.