[R-pkg-devel] Package submission rejected as it fails checks on Debian

Vasileios Nikolaidis v@n|ko|@|d|@ @end|ng |rom uop@gr
Mon Feb 20 13:38:25 CET 2023

Dear R-developers, I apologize for posting something that has probably
been discussed before (but missed it while searching the archives).

While trying to submit a newer version of my package to CRAN, it is
rejected as it fails on Debian. I will call this package APACKAGE below
(although it is named differently). It has passed all checks on my
Windows system (no errors or warnings).

The package (for many versions now) is configured as follows:
Imports: 	Rcpp , methods
LinkingTo: 	Rcpp
Suggests: 	R.rsp

The previous version of the package (already on CRAN) shows no errors on
CRAN checks, only NOTES for some platforms. Interestingly, a couple of
days ago I checked the CRAN checks and noticed that this exact
(previous) version of the package had one ERROR indicated, occurring in
some Debian flavor (r-devel-linux-x86_64-debian-gcc, if I remember
correctly). I changed nothing, but now it shows no errors for all
platforms (including Debian).

Now I am trying to submit a newer version and it not accepted as it
fails on Debian. Checking the log I see no syntax errors or warnings.

** testing if installed package can be loaded from temporary location
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘APACKAGE’ in dyn.load(file,
DLLpath = DLLpath, ...):
  unable to load shared object
‘/srv/hornik/tmp/CRAN/APACKAGE.Rcheck/00LOCK-APACKAGE/00new/APACKAGE/libs/APACKAGE.so’:

/srv/hornik/tmp/CRAN/APACKAGE.Rcheck/00LOCK-APACKAGE/00new/APACKAGE/libs/APACKAGE.so:
undefined symbol: _ZTIN6nnlib25layerE
Error: loading failed.

I tried the R-Hub builder and it also fails for Platform Debian Linux,
R-devel, GCC. The process goes fine until the following:

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘APACKAGE’ in dyn.load(file,
DLLpath = DLLpath, ...):
  unable to load shared object
'/home/docker/R/00LOCK-APACKAGE/00new/APACKAGE/libs/APACKAGE.so':
   /home/docker/R/00LOCK-APACKAGE/00new/APACKAGE/libs/APACKAGE.so:
undefined symbol: _ZTIN6nnlib25layerE
Error: loading failed
Execution halted
ERROR: loading failed
* removing ‘/home/docker/R/APACKAGE’
Warning message:
In i.p(...) :
   installation of package
‘/tmp/Rtmp7eBDvE/file1377f5861e3/APACKAGE_0.2.0.tar.gz’ had non-zero
exit status

It maybe something obvious, but I really cannot think of what else to
try to fix this issue.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.