[R-pkg-devel] NOTE about use of `:::`

David Kepplinger d@v|d@kepp||nger @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Dec 15 00:19:31 CET 2022

Dear List,

I am working on updating the pense package and refactored some of the
methods. I have several functions which take the same arguments, hence I'm
sending all these arguments to an internal function, called `parse_args()`.
Since I want to evaluate the arguments in the caller's environment, I'm
using the following code

  call <- match.call(expand.dots = TRUE)
  call[[1]] <- quote(pense:::parse_args)
  args <- eval.parent(call)

Of course, R CMD CHECK complains about the use of `:::`, as it's almost
never needed. I think the above usage would fall into that area of
"almost", but I'm not sure if (a) there's a better approach and (b) the
CRAN team would agree with me. I would have to test (b) by submitting and
working with the CRAN team, but I wanted to ask the list first to see if
I'm missing something obvious. I don't want to export the function
parse_args() as it's not useful for a user, and the use is truly internal.

Thanks and all the best,
David