[R-pkg-devel] Two packages with the same name

Uwe Ligges ||gge@ @end|ng |rom @t@t|@t|k@tu-dortmund@de
Mon Nov 28 20:18:31 CET 2022

On 28.11.2022 19:36, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 28 November 2022 at 12:15, Peter Carbonetto wrote:
> | I maintain the mashr R package (https://cran.r-project.org/package=mashr),
> | which has been on CRAN a little over 2 years. The mashr package depends on
> | another package, flashr, which is available from an external repository
> | (via *Additional_repositories*).
> |
> | Very recently, we have found ourselves in the awkward situation that there
> | are now two flashr packages:
> |
> | https://cran.r-project.org/package=flashr
> |
> | (mashr is listed as one of the reverse dependencies of this package, which
> | is incorrect.)
> |
> | Does anyone have any suggestions for how to navigate this awkward
> | situation? The problem needs to be fixed by Dec 7 otherwise mashr will be
> | taken off CRAN. On the other hand, the new "flashr" seems like a nice
> | package, and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't exist on CRAN.
>
> Yikes. My tendency would be to work with what is under your control and have
> your 'flashr' package renamed in its 'additional repository'. Also keep the
> existing one (for existing users), and new one (say, 'flashr2' or any other
> name, maybe even 'flashr4mashr'), upload to the 'additional repository' and
> then update 'mashr'.
>
> As far as CRAN is concerned, there is really only one 'flashr'.

Indeed, and CRAN makes sure that a new package does not take a name from
CRAN nor BioC, which are what we call mainstream repositories.
In order to prevent what happened, choose a rather unique name - and
perhaps consider to submit that to CRAN, too.

We see "flashr" and similar names are also used in other projects, so
one more point for a new name.

Best,
Uwe Ligges