[R-pkg-devel] R, Rust and CRAN

matthias-gondan m@tth|@@-gond@n @end|ng |rom gmx@de
Fri Nov 11 20:20:40 CET 2022

Hi Florian, I am doing something similar with Swi-Prolog. Feel free to contact me if needed. My steps were:Get swipl to compile on Windows,  MSYS2, then Rtools4.2.Then, an R package rswipl that just includes the swipl runtime for those people who don't have swipl installed. Then (basically right now, not yet on CRAN), an R package that does the interface between R and swipl (either installed on the system or the R package.Best wishes Matthias
-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: Florian Rupprecht <floruppr using gmail.com> Datum: 11.11.22  12:31  (GMT+01:00) An: List r-package-devel <r-package-devel using r-project.org> Betreff: [R-pkg-devel] R, Rust and CRAN Hi all,Are there any current recommendations on integrating Rust (and Cargo, itsofficial package manager) in an R package complying to CRAN's policies?To be clear: This question is not about how to integrate Rust in thepackage, it is about how to do it without creating friction with the CRANteam and infrastructure. I want to write the Rust-C-R interface and buildscripts myself.To me, Rust seems like a very good fit for R interop as it has a native CFFI, and has address and UB safety guarantees that top the strictest C++compiler warnings. However Rust's standard library is very small by design,so Cargo integration would be needed.I know there is:- rextendr (https://cran.r-project.org/package=rextendr):I don't think there is a package using this on CRAN yet.- cargo-framework (https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=cargo)Removed from CRAN.- r-rust/gifski (https://cran.r-project.org/package=gifski)Downloads precompiled binaries on windows for CRAN (which is, as Iunderstand it, strongly discouraged for a number of reasons:https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2022-September/082027.html).Thank you very much for your time,Florian	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]______________________________________________R-package-devel using r-project.org mailing listhttps://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-package-devel