[R-pkg-devel] R, Rust and CRAN

Florian Rupprecht ||oruppr @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Nov 11 12:31:06 CET 2022

Hi all,

Are there any current recommendations on integrating Rust (and Cargo, its
official package manager) in an R package complying to CRAN's policies?

To be clear: This question is not about how to integrate Rust in the
package, it is about how to do it without creating friction with the CRAN
team and infrastructure. I want to write the Rust-C-R interface and build
scripts myself.

To me, Rust seems like a very good fit for R interop as it has a native C
FFI, and has address and UB safety guarantees that top the strictest C++
compiler warnings. However Rust's standard library is very small by design,
so Cargo integration would be needed.

I know there is:

- rextendr (https://cran.r-project.org/package=rextendr):
I don't think there is a package using this on CRAN yet.

- cargo-framework (https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=cargo)
Removed from CRAN.

- r-rust/gifski (https://cran.r-project.org/package=gifski)
Downloads precompiled binaries on windows for CRAN (which is, as I
understand it, strongly discouraged for a number of reasons:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2022-September/082027.html).

Thank you very much for your time,
Florian