[R-pkg-devel] Error when install binary from CRAN but not if install from source - Macintoh, lme4, Matrix, buildmer

Tue Oct 18 21:17:33 CEST 2022

I see the same thing.  This sounds like a problem in the handling of
methods that has been discussed somewhat recently:

   https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2022-September/081971.html

The problem is that when the binary is built, some code from other
packages is kept as part of it.  When that other package is updated, you
need a new source install of your own package (or a rebuild at CRAN to
replace the binary) to cache the new code.

This can also be done explicitly by package startup code; I think this
thread

   https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-package-devel/2022q3/008481.html

turned out to be a case where rstan was caching something, and an update
to ggplot2 didn't work with the cached data.  Given the error message,
your issue sounds more like the first one.

I don't recall if there was a resolution.  Maybe you can ask the CRAN
maintainers to rebuild buildmer.

Duncan Murdoch