[R-pkg-devel] Error when install binary from CRAN but not if install from source - Macintoh, lme4, Matrix, buildmer

Carl Schwarz c@chw@rz@t@t@|uc@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Oct 18 20:51:46 CEST 2022

I've run into a problem where if you install the lme4, Matrix, and buildmer
packages using the binaries from CRAN on a Mac, I get an error message
about a missing method, but if I install the same packages from SOURCE, the
code runs fine.

I would have thought that installing from source or using the binary
should look the same.

Any suggestions on how to proceed to resolve this issue?

The maintainer of buildmer is also puzzled.
You can follow the issue in more detail at:
    https://github.com/cvoeten/buildmer/issues/20

This is way above my paygrade...

Carl Schwarz

Tried this on an intel-Mac and arm-Mac with the same result.
Works fine on Windows machines under both scenarios.

Here is a test example

library(buildmer)
library(lme4)

nrow <- 100

test <- data.frame(x01=runif(nrow),
                   y=runif(nrow)<.1, block=as.factor(floor((1:nrow)/50)))
head(test)

fit.model <- lme4::glmer(y~x01 + (1|block), data=test,
                   family=binomial(link="logit"))
fit.model # this works

class(fit.model)

summary(fit.model)
# gives the following error message
Error in diag(from, names = FALSE) : object 'dgeMatrix_getDiag' not found

A pdf document showing output is attached (shows the sessionInfo etc).

When you install the buildmer and Matrix packages from SOURCE, it runs fine.

I've tried all combinations of installing binary/source and only if both
packages (Matrix and buidmer) are installed from source, does the code run.

Same issue on an intel-Mac.
Same issue when running under the R directly rather than Rstudio on a Mac.