[R-pkg-devel] How to decrease time to import files in xlsx format?

Tue Oct 4 21:58:27 CEST 2022

It looks like you are reading directly from URLs? How do you know the delay is not network I/O delay?

Parallel computation is not a panacea. It allows tasks _that are CPU-bound_ to get through the CPU-intensive work faster. You need to be certain that your tasks actually can benefit from parallelism before using it... there is a significant overhead and added complexity to using parallel processing that will lead to SLOWER processing if mis-used.