[R-pkg-devel] Advice on resubmitting when no response from CRAN

David B. Dahl d@h| @end|ng |rom @t@t@byu@edu
Thu Sep 15 06:09:08 CEST 2022

Yes, the package in question is my salso package (but the issue
affects several of my other R packages that I'd like to update).

The problem is not so much the Cargo version number, but rather that
the previous version of my salso package downloaded a binary for a
static library if Cargo is not available during installation.  This is
the approach of other Rust-based packages (e.g., gifski, string2path,
ymd) but we were asked by a CRAN maintainer to submit updates which do
not do this (and that better documented authorship of depending
software) before 2022-08-10 to ensure the packages are not pulled from
CRAN.  That date has long passed and our packages are still on CRAN,
but I have not been able to update my package.  As an aside, the
author of string2path was able to update through the automatic checks
by still relying on the fallback of downloading a binary.  The updated
package is more clear about this fallback behavior, but his emails
requesting explicit permission have also not been answered.

-- David