[R-pkg-devel] Examples taking too long depend on object that takes a while to generate

John Harrold john@m@h@rro|d @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Sep 14 05:51:26 CEST 2022

Hello Greg,

I'm already using a reduced dataset. I can reduce it a little bit further
but it doesn't really change things much.

John

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 8:35 PM Greg Hunt <greg using firmansyah.com> wrote:

> John,
> Can you cut the test data size back?  Do you have some processing costs
> that are non-linear with data size?  27 seconds of user CPU is an awful lot
> of processing these days.
>
> Greg
>
> On Wed, 14 Sept 2022 at 13:21, John Harrold <john.m.harrold using gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm working on submitting a new package. I've created examples for each of
>> the functions. Most of these functions depend on an R object that uses
>> architecture-specific compiled code. To create that object can take
>> between
>> 10-20 seconds. The function that creates it will cache it in the
>> tempdir().
>> So the first example that uses that object will take more than the 5
>> seconds allowed by CRAN. If I wrap that example in donttest, then the next
>> function that uses it will exceed the 5 second limit, and on. I submitted
>> the package with all of these examples wrapped in donttest, but that got
>> me
>> dinged :). So I'm trying to come up with a solution and I'd appreciate any
>> help here.
>>
>> Is there some way to build an object before tests are run?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> John
>>
>> If it would help this is an example where I'm testing it in win-builder:
>>
>> https://win-builder.r-project.org/6641irOr4mI6/

John
:wq