[R-pkg-devel] Examples taking too long depend on object that takes a while to generate

John Harrold john@m@h@rro|d @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Sep 14 05:21:05 CEST 2022

Hello,

I'm working on submitting a new package. I've created examples for each of
the functions. Most of these functions depend on an R object that uses
architecture-specific compiled code. To create that object can take between
10-20 seconds. The function that creates it will cache it in the tempdir().
So the first example that uses that object will take more than the 5
seconds allowed by CRAN. If I wrap that example in donttest, then the next
function that uses it will exceed the 5 second limit, and on. I submitted
the package with all of these examples wrapped in donttest, but that got me
dinged :). So I'm trying to come up with a solution and I'd appreciate any
help here.

Is there some way to build an object before tests are run?

Thank you,
John

If it would help this is an example where I'm testing it in win-builder:

https://win-builder.r-project.org/6641irOr4mI6/