[R-pkg-devel] LaTeX packages available for documentation?

Sat Sep 3 22:09:42 CEST 2022

     I'm trying to figure out if the list of LaTeX packages that can be
expected to be available *when building PDF versions of man pages* is
documented/available somewhere.

  One of my co-authors is a bit enthusiastic about complex math
expressions in the man pages, e.g. using \dfrac (from the amsmath
package) and \mathscr (from the mathrsfs package). These are OK in HTML
version of the docs (now that LaTeX is allowed), but throw an error when
building the PDF manuals.

   I think this will probably turn out to be a case of "'doctor, it
hurts when I do this.' 'Well, then, don't do that.'" (i.e., remove fancy
LaTeX markup from man pages), but I'm curious.

   cheers
    Ben Bolker

PS

   I've looked at these sections of the documentation:

https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#Writing-portable-packages
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#Checking-packages
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Making-the-manuals

   and have searched for packages in the R sources:

$ find . -type f -exec grep "^.usepackage" {} \; | sort | uniq
\usepackage{a4wide}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage[authoryear,round]{natbib}
\usepackage{color}
\usepackage{fullpage}
\usepackage{fullpage}% save trees ;-)
\usepackage{graphicx, Rd}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\usepackage{listings}
\usepackage{myVignette}
\usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
\usepackage{Rd}
\usepackage{Rd, parskip, amsmath, enumerate}
\usepackage[round]{natbib}
\usepackage{Sweave}

   weirdly, amsmath is included here, but it's only used in vignettes --
seems puzzling but plausible that package availability would be
different for building vignettes vs. man pages ... ??