[R-pkg-devel] CRAN valgrind reports with zero leaks - actionable?

Thu Aug 18 13:55:01 CEST 2022

[ Five days ago, I sent (most) of the message below to a CRAN team member. I
have not had a reply, and it now appears that we are asked to email here so I
am resending. ]

A package of mine shows a valgrind report at with the details clearly
indicating that no memory is lost:

    ==3533933== LEAK SUMMARY:
    ==3533933==    definitely lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
    ==3533933==    indirectly lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
    ==3533933==      possibly lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks

The continuous integration setup for the package includes a nightly job
against multiple version of the underlying C++ library to check just this.
In those job we do NOT trigger an alert when, as here, zero bytes are
reported lost.

Now, valgrind does report something possibly due (as the _Writing R
Extensions_ manual notes) to compiler optimisation. So we currently consider
this spurious.

Could CRAN let us know if this is considered a 'must fix' issue?  And if so,
maybe so not show the alarmingly red 'valgrind' link to a report with zero leaks?

Many thanks as always for all these thorough tests.

Sincerely,  Dirk

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org