[R-pkg-devel] CRAN pre-test failure due to long runtime / timeout

Jonas Kurle m@|| @end|ng |rom jon@@kur|e@com
Fri Jul 22 22:09:15 CEST 2022

Dear all,

I submitted a new version of my package "robust2sls" (released version
on CRAN <https://cran.r-project.org/package=robust2sls>, new submitted
version on GitHub <https://github.com/jkurle/robust2sls>).

The automatic CRAN pre-tests fail and it seems that this is due to
runtime timeout (in the tests). For Windows, I get the message "Check
process probably crashed or hung up for 20 minutes ... killed" and for
Debian, I get "checking tests ... [30m/30m] ERROR". See below for the
links to the log files.

https://win-builder.r-project.org/incoming_pretest/robust2sls_0.2.1_20220722_180126/Windows/00check.log
https://win-builder.r-project.org/incoming_pretest/robust2sls_0.2.1_20220722_180126/Debian/00check.log

It seems that the development version of R might be causing this
problem, and others have already discussed longer running times of their
checks on this mailing list.

If I do the checks on winbuilder using the old version
<https://win-builder.r-project.org/VCReLD0u8Svj/00check.log> or release
version <https://win-builder.r-project.org/l0zOMEvibJ1b/00check.log> of
R, it works fine. But with the development version
<https://win-builder.r-project.org/5ZebbySXV99X/00check.log> it fails.

Surprisingly, the CRAN checks work well on all five settings that I have
tried with GitHub Actions
<https://github.com/jkurle/robust2sls/actions/runs/2719662067>,
including the one with the development version of R on Ubuntu. The check
took less than 10 minutes in this case.

Can anyone advise me what to do? I could skip most of my tests based on
the "testthat" package to decrease the runtime, such that they can
finish when re-submitting to CRAN even if the development version of R
is slower. But of course, I would prefer to keep my tests and figure out
the reason for the slowdown.

Thank you for any suggestions and help!

Best wishes,
Jonas