[R-pkg-devel] problem with regdmp finding v4.2.x under Windows

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jul 7 13:28:44 CEST 2022

On 7/5/22 19:27, Kevin Ushey wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> I'm not certain if this is the issue you're encountering, but I've
> noticed that different versions of R may write to different locations
> in the registry.

The R installer does not write R version information to the 32-bit view
of the registry when installing only 64-bit files. This is the same with
previous versions of R as can be seen from the code. I've tested with
4.1.3 - when you opt out from installing 32-bit files, version
information won't appear in the 32-bit view. In principle, one could
still write something to the 32-bit view, though I think this decision
was intentional as it required an extra condition in the sources.

R 4.2.x doesn't support 32-bit files anymore, hence  for users using the
defaults, it is R 4.2.0 when the version information no longer appears
in the 32-bit view.

One could proceed by searching both the 32-bit and the 64-bit views when
looking for the newest installed version, preferring 64-bit. For
practical use on current systems, using the 64-bit view only should
probably do.

Best,
Tomas