[R-pkg-devel] problem with regdmp finding v4.2.x under Windows

Kevin Ushey kev|nu@hey @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jul 5 19:27:55 CEST 2022

Hi Jonathan,

I'm not certain if this is the issue you're encountering, but I've
noticed that different versions of R may write to different locations
in the registry.

Right now, on my machine, I see entries for R 4.1.3 installed at:

    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\R-core\R

And for my installation of R 4.2.1, I see it at:

    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R

Note that the registry location for R 4.2.1 is no longer part of the
WOW6432Node.

I'm not sure if this is a hiccup unique to my own local machine, but
perhaps you're seeing something similar? A way to verify would be to
check and compare what you see with:

    reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R /reg:32
    reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R /reg:64

In my case, I see:

C:\Users\kevin>reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R /reg:32

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R
    InstallPath    REG_SZ    C:\R\R-4.1.3
    Current Version    REG_SZ    4.1.3

C:\Users\kevin>reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R /reg:64

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R
    InstallPath    REG_SZ    C:\R\R-4.2.1
    Current Version    REG_SZ    4.2.1

Best,