[R-pkg-devel] URL checks

Greg Hunt greg @end|ng |rom ||rm@n@y@h@com
Thu Jun 30 01:34:47 CEST 2022

With a little experimentation, the problem seems to be the -I switch in
curl, with which the request uses the HTTP HEAD method instead of GET.
Without -I, the requests from curl work for me; with -I, I get negative

While HEAD does not represent a major security threat to a server it gets
caught up when people are disabling unused or unnecessary operations and
features and so at a first approximation, the problem is -I.  Now, there
may also be scraper blocking applied to the CRAN and WinBuilder
infrastructure by the CDN companies, because scraping is a large problem
for many websites, but detecting rejection by cloudflare may be possible if
that is what is happening.