[R-pkg-devel] Rd cross-references ... NOTE, Undeclared packages ... in Rd xrefs

Mon Jun 13 22:36:30 CEST 2022

On 13/06/2022 3:22 p.m., Ivan Krylov wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 13:59:24 -0500
> Spencer Graves <spencer.graves using effectivedefense.org> wrote:
>
>> I probably should have just used "Suggests" and not
>> bothered this list with this issue.
>
> Why not use the \link{foo} form and let the HTML help system resolve
> the link at run time? Is it considered bad form to use unqualified
> links to help pages in other packages?

That leads to a warning like this:

     * checking Rd cross-references ... WARNING
     Missing link or links in documentation object 'foo.Rd':
       ‘bar’

     See section 'Cross-references' in the 'Writing R Extensions' manual.

and if the package isn't installed, the HTML page gives

     No help found for topic bar in any package.

I think the warning is enough to stop CRAN acceptance.