[R-pkg-devel] Rd cross-references ... NOTE, Undeclared packages ... in Rd xrefs

Mon Jun 13 20:26:29 CEST 2022

On 13/06/2022 12:12 p.m., Spencer Graves wrote:
> Hello, All:
>

> 	  How do I fix "Rd cross-references ... NOTE
> Undeclared packages ‘EnvStats’, ‘drc’, ‘zoo’, ‘prodlim’, ‘plyr’,
> ‘TRAMPR’, ‘raster’ in Rd xrefs"?
>

> 	  This occurs with
> "https://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-devel-linux-x86_64-fedora-clang/Ecfun-00check.html"
> and with
> "https://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-devel-linux-x86_64-fedora-clang/Ecdat-00check.html".
>    However, this error is not raised on other platforms.  My search for
> this note produced essentially the same message for other packages but
> no advice on how to fix it.
>

> 	  These are references to other packages that I do not use in my
> packages but that some users may wish to consider.  If needed, I will
> add them to "Suggests" for the packages.  However, that seems overkill,
> because I do not use them myself.  ???

Section 2.5 of Writing R Extensions says "Packages referred to by these
‘other forms’ should be declared in the DESCRIPTION file, in the
‘Depends’, ‘Imports’, ‘Suggests’ or ‘Enhances’ fields."  Of those
fields, Suggests looks like the best fit.  You'd use Enhances if your
package provides "methods for classes from these packages, or ways to
handle objects from these packages".