[R-pkg-devel] advice on a rejected package (I think, because time was 13min, in excess of 10min limit)

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu May 12 11:34:59 CEST 2022

On 5/12/22 10:55, Daniel Kelley wrote:

>> On May 12, 2022, at 4:34 AM, Tomas Kalibera
>> <tomas.kalibera using gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> CAUTION: The Sender of this email is not from within Dalhousie.
>>
>> On 5/11/22 22:26, Daniel Kelley wrote:
>>> Thanks, Dirk. On my machine, the test suite takes 85 seconds.
>>> Assuming the CRAN machines are about half as fast, eliminating all
>>> the tests might get oce under the 10 minute limit.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, how did you find out it is because of a time limit? In
>> the outputs shown in your original post I only see a failed test on
>> Linux. If it takes only 85 seconds on your machine, using reasonable
>> amount of memory, but several times longer elsewhere, I would recommend
>> first looking into the cause of the slowdown.
>
> Tomas, thanks for your comment.  Perhaps I ought to provide a bit more
> information.
>
> I found out the time near the end of the email, where it said
>
> Flavor: r-devel-windows-x86_64
> Check: Overall checktime, Result: NOTE
> Overall checktime 13 min > 10 min
>
> The 85 seconds to which I refer is on my local machine (a laptop) and
> it is only for the tests part. I don't think I saw time broken-down in
> the links provided in the email I received (pasted below ... but note
> that none of these links works for me today, although they worked 15
> hours ago).

I see. On my check server for ucrt3, 1.7-2 also took ~13 minutes to
check, so I assume this is reproducible and you should be able to debug
it elsewhere if you arrange to get some timings. Or maybe you could
deduce something from my timestamps:

May 11 04:12 00_pkg_src
May 11 04:16 oce
May 11 04:16 00install.out
May 11 04:20 oce-Ex.R
May 11 04:21 oce-Ex.Rout
May 11 04:21 oce-Ex.pdf
May 11 04:21 tests
May 11 04:25 oce-manual.pdf
May 11 04:25 Rdlatex.log
May 11 04:25 oce-manual.log
May 11 04:25 00check.log

and for tests:

May 11 04:21 testthat.R
May 11 04:21 startup.Rs
May 11 04:23 testthat
May 11 04:23 testthat.Rout

> Importantly, I am quite curious about your reference to a failed linux
> test.  I don't recall seeing any errors for my new version (1.7-3) on
> the following links (from the original email I received from CRAN).  I
> did, however, see errors for the previous version (1.7-2); indeed
> these were the reason why I was told to make a new CRAN release.

Sorry, I read the log incorrectly, that was for 1.7-2.

Best
Tomas