[R-pkg-devel] function name conflict

Kevin R. Coombes kev|n@r@coombe@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Apr 12 19:29:58 CEST 2022

Hi,

I am writing a package that Imports several other packages. One of my
imported packages eventually imports (through a chain of dependencies)
"lifecycle", and another eventually imports "rlang". Both "rlang" and
"lifecycle" define and export functions called "last_warnings".  As a
result, when I first execute "library(MYPACKAGE)" in a script, I get a
warning of the form
   " replacing previous import 'lifecycle::last_warnings' by
'rlang::last_warnings' when loading 'tibble' "

I don't want the users of MYPACKAGE to have to see this warning (since I
know it will spook novices). Is there anything I can do with Imports,
Depends, or something else to prevent this warning from occurring? (I
know that I can suppress warnings in each script, but I also don't want
to explain to my users that they have to do that.

Note that I have tried reversing the order of the two functions that I
import in the Imports declaration in the DESCRIPTION file, to no effect.
I also only use one function from each of the two imported pakages, and
they are explicitly listed in importFrom directives in the NAMESPACE file.

Thank in advance,
   Kevin