[R-pkg-devel] "Setting LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8" failed and "qpdf28.dll was not found" on Win 10

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Mar 31 08:42:58 CEST 2022

On 3/31/22 04:22, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> A) this is not a Git mailing list
>
> B) I am unaware of any CMD subcommand for git
>
> C) I really think you might be confusing R and git because there _is_ a CMD subcommand for R. Can you disentangle what you are really asking about?

I would recommend you use the Rtools for the respective version of R. If
this is about R-devel or R-patched (to be 4.2), use Rtools42. If this is
about R 4.1 or R 4.0, use Rtools40. You can have both installed in the
system at the same time. These are tuned to work and have the needed
tools so that you are least likely to run into problems. If you run into
problems, still, it is easier to get help, and if you find something
broken there, others would more likely benefit from the subsequent fixes.

The warning of "Setting LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 failed" is probably because
LC_CTYPE or LC_ALL is set to that value in the shell, but R cannot set
UTF-8 to be the current encoding for some reason (R version is too old,
the Windows version is too old, etc). You would need to provide more
details if you wanted to know exactly, why, but in principle - on such
systems, simply clear LC_CTYPE and LC_ALL before running R.

The error about the missing DLL when running QPDF is probably because
QPDF was not installed correctly, a runtime library is not on PATH or
not available at all. You would not run into this problem with Rtools
(either version), which include QPDF. But in principle, you can install
QPDF from its official installation and put it on PATH to be used.

Best
Tomas