[R-pkg-devel] Package manual build problem: ">" not rendered correctly

Fri Feb 25 19:42:24 CET 2022

On 25/02/2022 12:49 p.m., Noah Greifer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using \Sexpr{} macros in my R package with render-time evaluation.
> This means in my package source that I submit to CRAN, the package manual
> must be pre-built and included in the tarball. I am able to build the PDF
> manual using devtools::build_manual(), but in the manual that is produced,
> greater-than signs (">") are replaced with upside-down question marks. See
> the first page of the attached manual for reference. What can I do to have
> this render correctly?

> Running pdflatex --version in Terminal gives me the following:
>
> pdfTeX 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.21 (TeX Live 2020)
> kpathsea version 6.3.2
> [Irrelevant stuff removed]
> Compiled with libpng 1.6.37; using libpng 1.6.37
> Compiled with zlib 1.2.11; using zlib 1.2.11
> Compiled with xpdf version 4.02

According to the embedded information, you didn't use pdf(la)tex to
produce that PDF.  It says the "PDF Producer" was "macOS Version 12.0.1
(Build 21A559) Quartz PDFContext."  I'd try using the standard tools to
build the manual, and see if that is any different.  That is, in
Terminal, run

R CMD Rd2pdf <path to your package>

Duncan Murdoch