[R-pkg-devel] Package manual build problem: ">" not rendered correctly

Noah Greifer no@h@gre||er @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Feb 25 18:49:49 CET 2022

Hello,

I am using \Sexpr{} macros in my R package with render-time evaluation.
This means in my package source that I submit to CRAN, the package manual
must be pre-built and included in the tarball. I am able to build the PDF
manual using devtools::build_manual(), but in the manual that is produced,
greater-than signs (">") are replaced with upside-down question marks. See
the first page of the attached manual for reference. What can I do to have
this render correctly?

Running pdflatex --version in Terminal gives me the following:

pdfTeX 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.21 (TeX Live 2020)
kpathsea version 6.3.2
[Irrelevant stuff removed]
Compiled with libpng 1.6.37; using libpng 1.6.37
Compiled with zlib 1.2.11; using zlib 1.2.11
Compiled with xpdf version 4.02

I am on a Mac. I know very little about Latex (I don't use it for my
writing). Thank you!

Noah