[R-pkg-devel] 'rlang' win-builder error for package without rlang dependency

Sebastian Meyer @eb@meyer @end|ng |rom |@u@de
Sun Sep 12 23:09:19 CEST 2021

Am 12.09.21 um 19:25 schrieb Konrad Rudolph:
> Hi,
>
> My recent CRAN package submission failed with a win-builder error during
> the tests and vignette building *of the previously submitted version* [1]:
>
> ```
>      Error in library.dynam(lib, package, package.lib) :
>        DLL 'rlang' not found: maybe not installed for this architecture?
> ```
>
> (The log also shows another testing error with the new version which I can
> make neither heads nor tails of, but that’s a separate issue.)
>
> My package does not directly depend on 'rlang' (though it is a transitive
> 'Suggests' (build time) dependency via 'testthat'). I’m at a loss how to
> fix this issue. The closest I could find was [2], where the error is caused
> by tests being run for a mismatching architecture. In my case, the error
> seems to be caused by 'testthat' not being able to load the rlang DLL for
> x64 (weirdly the tests run to completion for the [mismatching] i386
> architecture). Given that I don’t control (a) which architecture is tested
> on win-builder, nor (b) how 'testthat' loads its dependencies, how can I
> fix this?
>
> … or was this error included in the win-builder output of the new
> submission as a simple FYI and can be safely ignored?

Yes, the current CRAN status of the package is appended just FYI / for
comparison.

These appended check results in the Debian pre-test output regularly
confuse package developers. I am suggesting (to R-core) to simply add
more empty lines before "current CRAN status" and maybe it should also
say something like "(for comparison)" to clarify that these results are
not the reason for the failure of the automatic pretest.

Best regards,

	Sebastian Meyer