[R-pkg-devel] UX for "WARNING unable to translate to native encoding"?

Mon Aug 16 12:42:59 CEST 2021

On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 09:05:54 +0000
David Norris <david using precisionmethods.guru> wrote:

> Unicode U+00d7 (times), U+00b1 (plus-minus) and U+03bc (mu) have
> equivalents in Latin-1 encoding, and I have used these without
> difficulty in strings, neither U+2206 (INCREMENT) nor U+0394 (Greek
> Delta) does

But not in some other locale encodings on Windows (e.g. CP-1251), nor
in some single-byte locale encodings on *nix-like systems (e.g.
ru_RU.KOI8-R), which are admittedly used much rarer nowadays than on
Windows. Unless I'm mistaken, the "\u2206t" in your example needs to
become a symbol, and symbols are always translated into the locale
encoding [1] [2].

I would expect this warning to be a problem for CRAN, but I'm just
another package developer, so I could be wrong.

--
Best regards,
Ivan

[1]