[R-pkg-devel] UX for "WARNING unable to translate to native encoding"?

David Norris d@v|d @end|ng |rom prec|@|onmethod@@guru
Mon Aug 16 11:05:54 CEST 2021

Whereas Unicode U+00d7 (times), U+00b1 (plus-minus) and U+03bc (mu) have equivalents in Latin-1 encoding, and I have used these without difficulty in strings, neither U+2206 (INCREMENT) nor U+0394 (Greek Delta) does:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859-1
Consequently, my attempt to use a parameter named '\u2206t' as in the following

>         attr(path_list,'performance') <- self$report(J = length(path_list)
>                                                    , t1 = round(t1)
>                                                    , t2 = round(t2)
>                                                    , "\u2206t" = round(t2 - t1)
>                                                      )

generates the following WARNING on Windows R-CMD-check:

> checking R files for syntax errors ... WARNING
  Warning in file 'R/cpe.R':
    unable to translate '<U+2206>t' to native encoding

From this article by Tomas Kalibera
https://developer.r-project.org/Blog/public/2020/05/02/utf-8-support-on-windows/,
I gather that quite often problems such as these won't actually bubble up to the user experience.
Is this one such case? Or would this WARNING be fatal to a CRAN submission?