[R-pkg-devel] Spelling and manual CRAN inspection

Sebastian Meyer @eb@meyer @end|ng |rom |@u@de
Mon Jul 19 14:36:37 CEST 2021

Note that the spell checks are not run by default in R CMD check. To
trigger these, you need to set the (undocumented) environment variable

_R_CHECK_CRAN_INCOMING_USE_ASPELL_=TRUE

and have aspell (or alternatives) installed.

No worries about a potential pain of rechecking the same flagged words
multiple times: Flagged words from the current CRAN version of the
package are automatically filtered out (by default) if remote checks are
enabled, i.e., if the environment variable

_R_CHECK_CRAN_INCOMING_REMOTE_=TRUE

(if unset it is TRUE for --as-cran). I'm sure the CRAN team takes care
of that.

Anyway, if you would like to setup a dedicated dictionary for your
package, this is also possible, see the "Watch Your Spelling!" R Journal
article by Kurt Hornik and Duncan Murdoch
(https://journal.r-project.org/archive/2011/RJ-2011-014/RJ-2011-014.pdf)
and the details section in help("aspell-utils").

Best regards,

	Sebastian Meyer