[R-pkg-devel] package test returns error when R version 4.1.0

Tue Jul 6 12:35:20 CEST 2021

    > Gm:

    > Did you try completely removing the LazyData line from the
    > description file?

    > David

Dear David,

where did you get this "idea" that 'LazyData'  is not good  for
 R 4.1.0 and newer ?

R's own  {datasets} package  *does* use lazyloading, and so do
most (formally) recommended packages, and I think most packages
I (co-)maintain, i.e., around two dozen CRAN packages do use
lazyloaded data.

---
*) The `Matrix` package is a big exception with 'Lazyload: No'
because its datasets partly are (S4-) classed objects from the package
itself, and -- as the "WRE" ('Writing R Extensions') manual
states -- package datasets must not *need* the package itself when
they should be lazy loaded.

Martin

--
Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich  and  R Core Team

[......]

    > I also tried to keep the new dependency and to drop the
    > lazy download instead (in DESCRIPTION I have put LazyData:
    > false). I got the same results as above.

    > The package checks perfectly on my MAC, and checked
    > perfectly when I asked a Win users to test the package on
    > his PC (with the latest version of R).

    > I am really scratching my head.

[....]