[R-pkg-devel] Old version of rtracklayer on a single check server

Martin Morgan mtmorg@n@b|oc @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue May 18 18:08:40 CEST 2021

That’s not correct Henrik.

CRAN follows CRAN rules for installing packages, so uses tools:::BioC_version_for_R_version(). For R-devel we have

> R.version.string
[1] "R Under development (unstable) (2021-05-18 r80323)"
> tools:::.BioC_version_associated_with_R_version()
[1] '3.13'

For this version of Bioconductor, the rtracklayer version (from https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.13/rtracklayer, or `available.packages(repos = "https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.13/bioc")["rtracklayer", "Version"]`) is 1.51.5.

So the r-devel-windows-ix86+x86_64 builder mentioned in the post has the wrong version of rtracklayer for R-devel.

Martin Morgan

On 5/18/21, 11:49 AM, "R-package-devel on behalf of Henrik Bengtsson" <r-package-devel-bounces using r-project.org on behalf of henrik.bengtsson using gmail.com> wrote:

    It's a problem with Bioconductor and a broken release history of
    'rtracklayer' on MS Windows (e.g.
    https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.12/bioc/html/rtracklayer.html)
    plus how each Bioconductor version is tied to a specific R version.
    In other words, even if they fix it in Bioconductor 3.13 (for R
    4.1.0), it can't be fixed in Bioconductor 3.12 (for R 4.0.0), so
    you're package will keep failing on Windows for R 4.0.0.  The reason
    why it can't be fixed in Bioconductor 3.12 is that they have now
    frozen that release forever.

    Because of this, I suspect the only solution is to make 'rtracklayer'
    an optional package, i.e. move it to Suggests: and update all your
    code to run conditionally of that package being available. I recommend
    you reach out to the bioc-devel mailing list for advice.

    /Henrik