[R-pkg-devel] Large data package

Ayala Hernandez, Rafael r@@y@|@14 @end|ng |rom |mper|@|@@c@uk
Sun May 2 12:12:14 CEST 2021

Dear All,

Following Dirk's suggestion below, I have recently added a data package as a drat repository for my asteRisk package, placing it under Suggests in the main package.
In order to keep the code tidy and know exactly when I’m accessing the data in the data package, I access all the data in the data package as asteRiskData:::Item

This seems to be working fine, but upon CHECK I am getting the following NOTE:

  Unavailable namespace imported from by a ':::' call: ‘asteRiskData’
    See the note in ?`:::` about the use of this operator.

The mentioned Note says:

It is typically a design mistake to use ::: in your code since the corresponding object has probably been kept internal for a good reason. Consider contacting the packagemaintainer if you feel the need to access the object for anything but mere inspection.

Here I have decided by design to keep the objects internal in the data package, since they are only meant to be accessed by functions of the main package.
I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with this NOTE before? Is it acceptable to leave it for submission of the updated version to CRAN?

Thanks a lot in advance

Best wishes,

Rafa