[R-pkg-devel] Problems with too much testing

Steven Scott @teve@the@b@ye@|@n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Apr 16 17:32:38 CEST 2021

One of the basic principles of testing is "test interface, not
implementation."  Tests that violate this principle become "change detector
tests" instead of "correctness tests" and essentially prevent any
improvements to the code.  In C++ objects have "public" and "private"
methods, and the testing diktat is to test the public ones.  I hit this
issue a lot at Google when internal clients wrote change detector tests
effectively fencing in my tools.  My solution was to point out the
problematic tests and ask them not to do that.

The intent of R as a language is to be fast, lightweight, and flexible.  In
the interest of keeping it that way for users, it has grown large and
cumbersome for package authors.  If we try to tack on a "public/private"
object layout I'm afraid that would be yet another burden on package
authors.  The most obvious place I see to do this is in the NAMESPACE file,
which is already an ugly beast.  So while I agree with Duncan's
characterization of the problem, to my ears the "social solution" is the
cleanest one available, if we're talking about formal mechanisms.

Informally, both C++ and python use underscores in variable names to
suggest private data members.  You could just prefix "PRIVATE" to the name
of all the data members you don't want tested, where "PRIVATE" might become
"." or "_", or some other character.  I would argue against using
underscores, but I think I've already lost that battle.