[R-pkg-devel] Vignettes from LaTeX files.

Fri Mar 5 21:41:30 CET 2021

On 05/03/2021 2:40 p.m., Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> Thank you. Glad to hear it's useful.
>
> This plain TeX/LaTeX vignette engine is implemented using base R.  If
> someone is willing to drive the efforts, I think it's not too much
> work to refactor it and propose it for base R itself, where I think it
> belongs,

What is your reasoning for this?  As a former R Core member, I would say
the reasons for something to be added to base R are:

  - it's generally useful
  - it doesn't have a lot of dependencies
  - it doesn't work as well in a contributed package

The first two conditions seem to be met, but what's wrong with leaving
it in R.rsp? Would something in base R be simplified by having this there?

Duncan

  e.g. in the 'utils' package where Sweave lives, or in 'tools'