[R-pkg-devel] Vignettes from LaTeX files.

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Mar 5 20:40:42 CET 2021

Thank you. Glad to hear it's useful.

This plain TeX/LaTeX vignette engine is implemented using base R.  If
someone is willing to drive the efforts, I think it's not too much
work to refactor it and propose it for base R itself, where I think it
belongs, e.g. in the 'utils' package where Sweave lives, or in 'tools'
where tools::texi2dvi() lives.  The vignette engine could be called
'utils::tex', e.g. %\VignetteEngine{utils::tex}.  To me it meets the
standards for reproducible documentation from source, although,
obviously there's no 'tangle':d code output.  If we want the latter,
we're getting into literate programming, and we already have several
vignette engines for that.

Just a thought,

Henrik